Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Cilwendeg

Introduction

Cilwendeg dates from the 1780s and is a John Nash designed Grade II Georgian mansion house.

Cilwendeg has a landscape park with lodges of the 1830s and a drive. There is also an unusual series of terraced lawns below the mansion leading to woodland paths. From the 1830s, there is a shell grotto and elaborate farm buildings. There is also a small arboretum and a walled kitchen garden. The house became an old people's home in the 1950s.

The Cilwendeg Shell House Hermitage was built in the late 1820s for Morgan Jones the Younger (1787-1840), who inherited the Cilwendeg estate upon the death of his uncle.

Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts

Telephone

01443 336000

Access contact details

The Cilwendeg Shell House and the Capel Colman Church are both open for public viewing on Thursdays from the first week in April through the last week in September (9:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M.).

Admission is free to each building but site donations are always welcomed.

Group tours (10 or more persons please) may be accommodated at other times by prior arrangement for a minimum donation of £1 (per person) for each building or £1.50 for a tour of both buildings.

For more detailed information visit The Temple Trust website.

Directions

Cilwendeg Park is located to the east of the village of Boncath in Pembrokeshire off the B4332 (between Boncath and Newchapel).

Vehicular access to the Shell House car park is restricted to cars only (vans and buses may not enter at any time).

Visitors are requested to follow the signs from the car park to the Shell House.

Owners

Pembrokeshire County Council

County Hall, Haverfordwest,, SA61 1TP
History

18th Century

In 1764, Morgan Jones (The Elder) (1740-1826)he completely rebuilt the neglected medieval chapel called Capel Colman at the western perimeter of Cilwendeg Park.

20th - 21st Century

Cilwendeg Mansion had been used by the county council as a residential care home from 1955 until it closed in 2010.

The mansion has now (2022) been restored and is a exclusive-use luxury venue.

Period

  • Late 18th Century
  • 18th Century
Features & Designations

Designations

  • CADW Register of Landscapes Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Wales

  • Reference: PGW(Dy)17(PEM)
  • Grade: II*
  • CADW Register of Listed Buildings in Wales

  • Reference: House, counting house, bell house, stable, coach house
  • Grade: II*
  • CADW Register of Listed Buildings in Wales

  • Reference: Pigeon house, shell grotto
  • Grade: II

Features

  • Mansion House (featured building)
  • Description: The central block has three storeys, with two additional two-storey blocks.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Dovecote
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Barrier
  • Description: Unusual slate barrier.
  • Stable Block
  • Garden Building
  • Description: 'The Counting House'.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Shell Grotto
  • Pool
  • Description: Brick-lined bathing pool.
  • Gate Lodge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Drive
  • Terrace
  • Lawn
  • Description: There is an unusual series of terraced lawns below the mansion.
  • Tree Feature
  • Description: Arboretum.
  • Kitchen Garden
Key Information

Type

Landscape Park

Purpose

Ornamental

Principal Building

Nursing Home

Period

Late 18th Century

Survival

Part: standing remains

Hectares

86

Open to the public

Yes

Civil Parish

Boncath

References

References