The house was built within the walls of a ruined castle around 1620. There is additional 19th-century crenellation and an inner courtyard with polygonal angle towers. Features include a dry moat, terraces, amture lime trees and a gate lodge.
The house was built in around 1620. It is attributed to John Smythson. According to Country Life (1911), the moat was partly drained in the early-20th century and a formal flower garden made.
Access to the site from the west is by a tree-lined drive. The moat is still visible to the south-west. It was drained in 1850 when the gardens were laid out by Sir Percival Ratcliffe. Mature lime trees form the perimeter of the moat to the east and south.
W E Bowers purchased the site in 1890 and built a gate lodge, made a cricket ground and also re-created part of the moat, which he planted with willows. The 1911 plan in Country Life showed intricate parterres both within the walls and in the former area of moat to the north-west of the house.
The south terrace is very substantial, and is visible from the adjacent churchyard. The supporting wall is 30 feet high. There are towers on each corner. The parkland and lodges (dating to around 1890) are in need of attention, biut the garden features near the house are well managed.
- House (featured building)
- Description: The house was built within the walls of a ruined castle around 1620.
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Access & Directions
DirectionsThe site is off the M6 at junction 15.
- Associated People