The Licensed Victuallers Asylum opened in 1833, initially designed to provide 43 homes for retired victuallers, but over the next decades demand for accommodation was such that it expanded considerably, becoming the largest almshouse complex in London. The first range is on 3 sides of a quadrangle overlooking a large expanse of garden, with railings to the road. In 1959 the Society moved to new Almshouses in Denham and in 1960 Camberwell Borough Council acquired the property for council housing. It was renamed Caroline
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Queen's Road Peckham. Bus: 21, 53, 172, P13 (walk)
By the 1870s there were 205 residents in 176 units. The Society had been incorporated by Royal Charter in 1843 and had ongoing connections with royalty, the Prince of Wales its first patron.
- Victorian (1837-1901)
London Parks and Gardens Trust