There are a number of trees on the green. Other features include a children's playground and cast iron enclosing railings.
Camberwell was a rural village until the late C18th, and Camberwell Fair was held in August on Camberwell Green for the Feast of St Giles, patron saint of Camberwell, from 1279 until 1855 when it was suppressed as a nuisance to the local residents. In 1856 four local dignitaries purchased exclusive rights for holding the fair on the Green from the Lords of the Manor on a 1,000 year lease with an annual rent of one peppercorn. They sold it to Camberwell Vestry in September 1857 and the Green re-opened as a public open space in 1859. The Green was previously dominated by elm trees and had a pond in the south.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Oval (Northern) then bus. Rail: Denmark Hill then bus; Loughborough Junction then bus. Bus: 12, 36, 171, 345, 35, 40, 42, 45, 68, 176, 468, 484.
- Mid 19th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust