The park is on a gently sloping site with winding paths and mature trees. The main gates on Peckham Road were refurbished in the late-20th century together with new landscaping that included flower beds, paths, ornamental trees and a water feature in the north of the park.
Lucas Gardens was originally the grounds of a terrace of 12 Georgian houses known as East Terrace, which were later used as an extension to Camberwell House Lunatic Asylum established in 1846 in a former school building on the north side of Peckham Road. During World War 1 a Flying Boat was displayed in what is now the public park, probably bought by local subscription as part of the war effort. Lucas Gardens opened as a public park in July 1955.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 7.30am - sunset.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 7.30am - sunset.
DirectionsRail: Peckham Rye then bus. Tube: Oval (Northern) then bus. Bus: 12, 36, 171, 345.
Official WebsiteClick Here
London Parks and Gardens Trust