Failsworth Lodge 4529

Failsworth, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Failsworth Lodge is a house with grounds and a wooded park occupying about 13 hectares. The 18th century Lodge is now used as a recreation centre. The original ponds and mills no longer survive and the park is now a sports ground.

History

The Lodge was built in 1770 by Captain Birch but has undergone a number of changes over the years. In the late 19th century the site was cut through by the Hollinwood Branch railway line to the south. Before 1950 the park consisted of 21 acres (8.5 hectares) which included the Mansion House with gardens, a Dower House, greenhouse, mill, lakes, woods and cottages. In 1950 the Lodge was opened as a club house for the use of personnel employed at A V Roe (now BAe Systems).

Detailed Description

The original site of 21 acres came to include a house (The Lodge), gardens, a Dower house, cottages, a greenhouse, mills, ponds and woods.

The site is of an irregular shape with the Lodge sited on the eastern side and approached through fields by a long, tree lined drive. There were a number of ponds but some of these have been filled in or redirected at an earlier stage in association with the construction of a mill. The ponds and mills have not survived.

The Lodge is used as a social club and the park for sports activities.

Features
Tree Feature
Access & Directions

Directions

East of the A62 at Failsworth, north of Manchester
History

Detailed History

Failsworth Lodge was built in 1770 by Captain Birch as a domestic house and has had a number of structural changes and uses since then. In 1824 it was occupied by Mssrs Bury who ran a girls' academy. In the late 19th century Joseph Grimshaw, Hatter, of Failsworth lived in the house. In 1936 the Lodge was bought by Sir Roy Dobson who worked for A V Roe's engineering business which built aircraft. In 1950 the Lodge was opened as a clubhouse for use by staff at the A V Roe factory. More details about A V Roe's and BAe Systems' links with the Lodge can be found on the Lancaster Clubhouse website (see Websites)

The mills and several lakes which were originally in the park no longer survive and the grounds are now used for sports.

References

References