Brockley Hall 561

Bristol, England

Brief Description

Brockley Hall is an early-19th-century pleasure grounds and park, now partly built over with 1960s housing.

Detailed Description

A driveway leaves Brockley Lane north of the house and curves round to the south-east entrance. It skirts the house and coach house to the rear then heads back north to the entrance lodge. Beyond this ‘island' made by the drive, house and outbuildings, the site has been built on in recent years and split into many private gardens. What remains of the original parkland are several specimen trees. These include Sequoia, Cedar, Larch, Birch, Oak, and Beech.

When last surveyed in 1987, the parkland of Brockley Hall had been built on in several places and its general air was one of neglect. The walled garden site was overgrown and appeared completely unmanaged.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: Brockley Hall was built in the late-18th century, and was remodelled around 1825 in the Greek revival style for J.H. Smythe-Pigott.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Planting
  • Description: The walled garden is situated north-east of Brockley Hall across Brockley Lane. The walls are approximately three metres high and enclose 2.3 acres of land in three separate sections. It is difficult to date this garden and it is unlisted, but the last surveyor postulated that it was at least as old as the 1825 remodelling. When last surveyed, the walls were in a good state but the garden was derelict.
  • Grotto
  • Description: The Brockley Grotto is actually a tunnel linking the main site with the walled garden.
  • Tree Feature
  • Description: This is an area of ornamental woodland, a couple of miles square, which originally belonged to the estate. Many Yew trees and native woodland species survive.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Nailsea
History

Detailed History

A Domesday site, under the name ‘Brochelie' came into the possession of the Pigott family in the 16th century who, through marriage, became the Smythe-Piggots.

The present house dates from the late 18th century.

Judging from the appearance of the new buildings on the site, the parkland was split up between the 1960s and 1980s.

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here
References

References

Contributors

  • S. Lanigan

    1

  • Avon Gardens Trust