The well-stocked Winter Garden is open to the public, and to the west are terraced flower gardens.
Avery Hill was a late Victorian Italianate villa built for Colonel John Thomas North in around 1888 with fine gardens and an enormous conservatory where he housed his winter garden. North initially rented the estate and 20 acres of land but by 1891 had expanded it to over 270 hectares, which included much of what is now Shooters Hill Woodlands, and it was used partly for shooting and some let for farming. On his death in 1896 the estate was auctioned, much of it eventually purchased by the LCC, part becoming Avery Hill Park. From 1906 the mansion was used as a college of education, Avery Hill College.
Visitor FacilitiesWinter Garden open Mon-Sat 10am - 12 and 1 - 4pm (closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day)
- Winter Garden
- Plant Type
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsWinter Garden open Mon-Sat 10am - 12 and 1 - 4pm (closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day)
DirectionsRail: Eltham, New Eltham or Falconwood then bus. Bus: B15, 132, 162, 286