Features of Aske Gardens include a tennis court and mature trees.
Aske's Hospital was one of the earliest and grandest almshouses in Shoreditch, taking its name from Robert Aske, who bequeathed money to the Haberdashers' Company in 1689. The original 17th-century almshouses accommodated 20 single men and a school for 20 boys, but were rebuilt in the 1820s with additional facilities for education, forming three sides of a square. By 1882 there were no longer almshouses and the enlarged school buildings catered for 300 girls and 300 boys. In 1898 the two schools transferred elsewhere and the buildings became the LCC's Shoreditch Technical Institute, the open space in front designated as public open space, which remains today as Aske Gardens, although the buildings are now private housing.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open from 7.30am - dusk (summer 9.30pm, winter 4pm).
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open from 7.30am - dusk (summer 9.30pm, winter 4pm).
DirectionsRail/Tube: Old Street (Northern). Bus: 55