Arlebury Park (also known as New Place)5085

New Alresford, England, Hampshire, Winchester

Brief Description

The original house and parkland was created by William Harris in the late-18th-century, with formal gardens. Since 1995, the house has been divided into apartments within the small park area.

History

The house, known as New Place, was built in 1774 as a `handsome Italianate Georgian mansion' by William Harris, who also created the parkland and formal gardens.

Detailed Description

In 1995, the house was purchased by the M25 Group, which created 12 apartments within a much-reduced park area. Some of the original outbuildings such as stables have been developed separately. A considerable part of the original estate, particularly towards the river, has been retained by the M25 Group.

There are several large cedar trees, some of which are home to numerous nesting herons, both in the grounds belonging to the apartments as well as in the larger estate belonging to the M25 Group. Winchester District has included this latter area as one of 16 sites suitable for development in its Strategic Plans Scheme.

Features
  • Apartments (featured building)
  • Description: In 1995, the house was purchased by the M25 Group, which created 12 apartments within a much-reduced park area.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Specimen Tree
  • Description: There are several large cedar trees, some of which are home to numerous nesting herons, both in the grounds belonging to the apartments as well as in the larger estate belonging to the M25 Group.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • New Alresford
History

Detailed History

The house, known as New Place, was built in 1774 as a ‘handsome Italianate Georgian mansion' by William Harris, who also created the parkland and formal gardens. Early in the 19th century, Admiral F J P Marx occupied the house, although he was often absent in the duties of the Crown. The Walford family took over Arlebury Park in 1883 where they remained for three generations.

The house and about 62 hectares (153 acres) of adjoining land with cottages, together with about 1800 yards of exclusive fishing rights along the River Arle were put up for auction in 1935, though the sale did not proceed at that time. In 1944 the estate was bought by E E Witchard who farmed the agricultural land and divided the house into eight substantial flats, one of which his family occupied. From 1947-1977, the Martin family occupied the house.

Period

  • Late 18th Century
References

Contributors

  • Hampshire Gardens Trust

  • Janet Hurrell

    1