Abney Hall 6288

Stockport, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Abney Hall has a house with grounds and a small park. The site is bounded by a railway line to the north, Manchester Road to the west, open fields to the south and east with a second railway line to the south of the site. The house lies roughly to the centre of an irregularly-shaped site, with an entrance drive from Manchester Road across the small park. There are productive gardens to the east of the house, and a lake to the south. There is a slender tower with a spire in the garden which served as a ventilation shaft and may have been connected to the greenhouses.

History

In 1849 the estate was bought by James Watts of Manchester, a wholesale draper, who enlarged the house. The architects were Travis and Mangnall. The final enlargement came in 1893, under the architects C F Armitage.

Features
  • Hall (featured building)
  • Description: The hall is of three main building periods. The north-west corner dates from 1847.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Drive
  • Description: The house lies roughly to the centre of an irregularly-shaped site, with an entrance drive from Manchester Road across the small park.
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: There are productive gardens to the east of the house.
  • Lake
  • Description: There is a lake to the south of the house.
  • Tower
  • Description: There is a slender tower with a spire in the garden which served as a ventilation shaft and may have been connected to the greenhouses.
History

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
References

References

Contributors

  • Cheshire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit