Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Worthington Park (also known as Sale Park)

Introduction

Worthington Park is a public park developed on land given by Mrs Mary Worthington in 1900 and originally called Sale Park. The site is irregular in shape and surrounded by housing. The park was originally planted with holly, aucubas and rhododendrons purchased from the Sale Botanical Gardens which were at that time about to close down. There is a bust of Dr James Prescott Joule in the park. The park was renamed in 1950.

Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts

Access contact details

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see:

http://www.trafford.gov.uk/cme...

Owners

Trafford Council

Trafford Town Hall, Talbot Road, Stretford, M32 0TH
History

Period

  • 20th Century (1901 to 1932)
  • Early 20th Century (1901 to 1932)
Features & Designations

Features

  • Bust
  • Description: There is a bust of Dr James Prescott Joule in the park.
  • Bandstand
  • Bowling Green
Key Information

Type

Park

Purpose

Recreational/sport

Principal Building

Parks, Gardens And Urban Spaces

Period

20th Century (1901 to 1932)

Survival

Extant

Hectares

6

Open to the public

Yes

References

References

Contributors

  • Cheshire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit