Priory Gardens, Sale (also known as Sale Priory)6478

Trafford, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

The site had a house with grounds to the north of Dane Road. Barrow Brook is to the north beyond the site, with Salemoor Hunting Establishment to the west and Priorybank, a separate dwelling, to the east. This is a long rectangular site, with the house in a roughly central position. There is a lawned area with a thickly wooded boundary belt and path system to the west of the house. To the east is a possible walled productive garden and Jacob's Well. The house was demolished in 1932, but the site remains extant as a public park.

History

The property belonged to Dr Thomas White, who practised medicine in Manchester, and then to his son Dr Charles White who wrote a treatise on forestry and probably planted many of the trees on the site. The estate was sold to Sale Urban District Council for £1,000 in 1920 on the death of the last owner, Mr A H Megson.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site for general public use.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use.
References

References

Contributors

  • Cheshire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit