Longford Park 6465

Trafford, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Longford Park had a hall with gardens and a small park to the north of Edge Lane. There was a boundary belt, including forest trees, on all boundaries, with a possible extension of the area to the north of Longford Brook. There were open fields on all sides beyond the boundary belt. The single entrance was from Edge Lane across the park to the house on the eastern side of the site. There was a kitchen garden to the north of the house, with a water channel leading to a pond set in a wooded area on the eastern boundary. The site came into municipal ownership in 1911. The site remains a public park. Features include the stables, coach house, Japanese gardens, bowling greens and an athletics stadium.

History

The estate was purchased by John Rylands in 1855. A new house was developed in the Italian style in 1857 and the garden and grounds set out to match Rylands' principles of 'system, order and economy'. The meadows to the front of the hall were irrigated and the kitchen garden was doubled in size. Extensive gardens and conservatories were laid out in the style of Chatsworth. By the late-19th-century the development of the surrounding area was already beginning to encroach on the site.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.trafford.gov.uk/cme/live/cme1814.htm?scheme_name=lgnl&scheme_category_id=461
Features
  • Hall (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Stable Block
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Building
  • Description: Coach house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Bowling Green
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.trafford.gov.uk/cme/live/cme1814.htm?scheme_name=lgnl&scheme_category_id=461
History

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit