Worksop Manor has a landscape park and woodland. Other features include gardens and a kitchen garden.
- Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts
Worksop Manor was built in 1585 for the 6th Earl of Shrewsbury. Robert Smythson was probably the designer. The 8th Duke of Norfolk started improving the house in 1701. He also built new offices and stables on the east side of the forecourt. Jean Tijou designed and installed the ironwork in 1702.
From 1710 to 1729 large plantations covered the northern part of the park. An approach drive ran through these plantations. The 8th Duke created a triple avenue which ran east from the new offices. Formal gardens were located to the south and west of the house. Also to the south was a lawn with an octagonal basin. This gave way to an avenue with a canal which extended to the edge of the park across lower ground. It is believed that the 8th Duke moved lead figures from Stonyhurst to Worksop in the late 1720s. Other features included a kitchen garden which was located on the eastern slopes of the park. There was also a menagerie which was created, only to be demolished in 1731.
Pierre Bourguignon drew up plans by Lord Petre in 1737 for the 9th Duke. The plans were extensive. Additional land was to be incorporated within the park to the south. This allowed for the formation of new features which included a grand lawn and a platooned star burst. The gardens and the slope down to the canal were changed into a large oval lawn with a peripheral walk. The east avenue was also removed and the plantations to the north were broken up with serpentine rides leading to openings. Petre also produced designs for a ziggurat and an irregular shaped lake. The canal and kitchen garden remained unaltered. Little work was done until 1743 when £1,287 was spent in one year on gardening. Francis Richardson was also at Worksop in the 1740s suggesting that further work took place.
Worksop manor burnt down in 1761 and James Paine was commissioned to build a replacement. Only one wing was completed before work stopped in 1767.
The Duke of Newcastle bought the estate in 1839. It was eight miles in circumference and contained over a thousand acres (400 hectares) of land. He took down James Paine's wing and divided the park.
- Associated People
- Key Information
Open to the public