Whitworth Park 6165

Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

The park was opened in 1890. In 1895, Rusholme house was demolished and the grounds were re-modelled into the park. In the same year, a competition for the design of the gallery was won by J W Beaumont. The gallery is of red terracotta, symmetrical with two low towers, cross-windows and polygonal buttresses on the angle parts. There is a semi-circular columned entrance porch. A statue of Edward VII by J Cassidy dates from 1911-13.

History

Whitworth Park is a site which dates from 1848, including Grove House and Rusholme House and their grounds. The site was bounded by Oxford Street and Wilmslow Road to the east and a lane to the west (Park Street 1895), and suburban development to the north-east. The park was opened in 1890.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal park for general public use. Please see: http://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=1508 More information
Features
  • Gallery (featured building)
  • Description: The gallery is of red terracotta, symmetrical with two low towers, cross-windows and polygonal buttresses on the angle parts. There is a semi-circular columned entrance porch.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal park for general public use. Please see: http://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=1508

Directions

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?categoryID=200073&documentID=1508&pageNumber=2
History

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit