Ardwick Green 4669

Manchester, Greater Manchester, England

Brief Description

Ardwick Green is a small oblong urban park covering about two hectares, bounded by Ardwick Green South and Ardwick Green North. It has a number of features including a wildflower area, a 'Plants of the world' flower bed, a Cenotaph memorial and seasonal gardens.

History

The park was originally a green, surrounding a piece of water described as a canal. The green was an open space and promenade in 1846. By 1867 it had become a subscription park. After a period of neglect in the early 20th century, Ardwick Green became a public park in 1915.

Visitor Facilities

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/leisure/parks/central/
Features
Cenotaph, Flower Bed
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/leisure/parks/central/

Directions

To the south-east of Manchester city centre.
History

Detailed History

Historically this small park was associated with the Manor of Ardwick which was in the possession of the Birch family.

The site was originally much larger than at present, and was used for public gatherings. One group that met at the site was the Blanketeers in 1817 after they had been driven from St Peter's Fields.

In 1825 the inhabitants of Ardwick obtained an Act of Parliament to protect the green which was 'an ornament to the township and the surrounding houses'.

In 1848 the Ardwick Committee of the Corporation of Manchester was petitioned by residents to improve the green. The improvements included the erection of iron railings and the committee contributed towards the £1,000 costs.

Ardwick Green first became a public park in 1867 when it was taken over by Manchester Corporation.

Period

  • Mid 19th Century
References

References