Whipsnade Tree Cathedral 8511

Dunstable, England

Brief Description

The Tree Cathedral is made from trees, shrubs and plants and was created after the First World War in the spirit of 'faith, hope and reconciliation'.

History

Edmund Blyth purchased Chapel Farm in Whipsnade in 1927. In 1930, he began planting trees in a field on his land. The layout was planned in the style of a medieval cathedral; created after the First World War in the spirit of 'faith, hope and reconciliation'. He continued to plant trees of different types for different areas of the ‘cathedral’ until the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939 when he returned to his regiment. The Tree Cathedral survives and is now owned by the National Trust.

Visitor Facilities

The site is open daily: http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/place-pages/365/pages/opening-times-calendar
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is open daily: http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/place-pages/365/pages/opening-times-calendar
History

Period

  • Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
Contact

Telephone

0844 800 1895

Official Website

Click Here

Owners

  • The National Trust

    Heelis, Kemble Drive, Swindon