West Leigh Hall 6593

Wigan, Greater Manchester, Greater Manchester, England

Brief Description

West Leigh Hall had a hall and grounds on a moated site. There was a small park or lawn to the south of the house, with productive gardens, an orchard and a moat to the north. In 1931 the hall and grounds were given to the Leigh Corporation. The hall was demolished and the grounds were laid out for playing fields. The site remains as the Marsh Playing Fields.

History

The new hall was erected in 1756 by John and Ellen Ranicars, the then owners. The estate passed by marriage to the Marsh family. The last member of the family to live at the hall left in 1895. The hall suffered from mining subsidence and was uninhabited.

Features
  • Hall (featured building)
  • Now Demolished
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
References

References