Pennington Park 6577

Wigan, Greater Manchester, Greater Manchester, England

Brief Description

Pennington Park had a mid-18th-century hall on a much older site. The site included a great barn, three coach houses, a stable for 19 horses, a shippon for 16 cows, a carthouse and a granary. The last resident was the brewer, George Shaw, and on his retirement in 1920 the hall and grounds were given to the town. The grounds were laid out as a public park. The site survives in part as Pennington Park.

Visitor Facilities

This is now a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.wlct.org/leisure/parks/parkshome.htm
Features
  • Hall (featured building)
  • Now Demolished
  • Description: The hall was built by Samuel Hilton in 1748 and described in a sale catalogue of 1807 as having five arched cellars beneath the hall. In 1928 the hall was converted into a museum and art gallery. The hall was found to have dry rot and was demolished in 1963.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is now a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.wlct.org/leisure/parks/parkshome.htm
History

Period

  • Early 20th Century
References

References