Hindley Green Hall 6524

Wigan, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Hindley Green Hall had a house and grounds to the west of Leigh Road. There were open fields on all other boundaries with the main line railway slightly to the north of the site. Yates' map of Lancashire, 1786, shows a building on this site and a large L-shaped building is shown on the 1839 Pemberton tithe map. By the mid-19th century, the house was square-shaped and had a different orientation. There were two approaches from the road, one to the house and one side approach to buildings at the rear. There was a lawn to the front of the house with a collection of buildings, trees and possibly productive gardens between the house and the road. The site is now lost. The house has been demolished. Part of the grounds survives as a sports ground attached to factory buildings.

History

The 1839 tithe apportionment describes the site as 'house, outbuilding, fold, garden and plantation' owned by the executors of the late Henry Bullock and occupied by John Wainwright.

References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit