Stoneleigh Park, Oldham 4569

Oldham, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Stoneleigh Park is a public park occupying about 9 hectares. The site has ornamental gardens and sports facilities, with a pavilion, a playground, two bowling greens and tennis courts.

History

The site was purchased by the Corporation in 1933 and opened as a public park in 1938. It has regularly won Green Flag Awards since about 2001.

Visitor Facilities

0161 770 4642 http://www.oldhamparks.co.uk
Features
Bowling Green, Flower Bed
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

0161 770 4642 http://www.oldhamparks.co.uk

Directions

North of Buxted Road and west of Vulcan Road
History

Detailed History

The area which is now the park was purchased by Oldham Corporation in 1933 as a plot of freehold land together with a dwelling house and associated domestic buildings. The area was developed as a public park with some land being set aside for future road development. The Corporation borrowed £14,200 in 1937 to lay out the park. The contract for layout was let to W Gindlay Ltd and for building and structural work to Whitworth Whittaker and Co Ltd. The park was opened to the public in 1938.
References

References