In front of the Royal Military Chapel or Guards' Chapel is a memorial garden laid out in the 1980s and consists of lawn, shrubbery, a fountain and planting in the shape of the Brigade insignia. To the north-west is a bronze statue to Field Marshal The Earl Alexander of Tunis (1891-1969) by James Butler (1985). The modern chapel of the 1960s by Bruce George of George, Trew and Dunn replaced the earlier chapel, which was largely destroyed by a German flying bomb in 1944. The railings of the neighbouring Barracks are C19th.
The land was originally part of St James's Park. Wellington Barracks date from 1833-4 although from c.1810 the site was already partly in use by the Guards. The main range was designed by Col. Sir Frederick Smith of the Royal Engineers and architect Philip Hardwick, with later buildings added in the C20th, such as the New Barracks dating from 1979-85.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsTube: Victoria (District, Circle, Victoria)
London Parks and Gardens Trust