War Memorial and Garden, Blackmoor 9544

Bordon, England, Hampshire, East Hampshire

Brief Description

The small garden consisting of an oblong lawn is outlined by roses set in stone edged beds. These are within the arms of a magnificent stone walled and slated timber framed cloister adorned with bronze memorial plaques and a water fountain. To one side is a parkland with 100 year old oaks under-planted with hollies, and with crocus and narcissus scattered in the grass.

History

The Memorial and Garden were commissioned by the second Lord Selborne and built in 1920 to the designs of architect Sir Herbert Baker with bronze plaques by sculptor Charles Wheeler. It was a gift in memory of Lord Selborne’s son killed in WWI and all the men of Blackmore killed in 1914-18 plus a memorial to all the children of the parish. In addition the memorial includes those killed in 1940-45. It is set within parkland left to the parish.

Features
  • Loggia
  • Description: Stone walled and slated timber framed cloister adorned with bronze memorial plaques.
War Memorial, Rose Border, Fountain
History

Period

  • Early 20th Century
Associated People

People associated to War Memorial and Garden, Blackmoor

References

References

Contributors

  • Judith Patrick

  • Hampshire Gardens Trust