Ludshott Manor (also known as Woolmer Lodge, Ludshott Place)4876

Liphook, England, Hampshire, East Hampshire

Brief Description

Currently, the site has a 10 acre pleasure ground surrounded by a park and farmland originally belonging to the 11th century manor. There are fine views of the parkland and the South Downs.

History

In 1825 the estate and farm were bought by Sir James Macdonald who built a new mansion, Woolmer Lodge, on the site and laid out the Victorian garden. By 1846 the pleasure grounds had been laid out, enclosed within a boundary and surrounded by parkland. Features and paths seen on maps of 1870 are still recognisable today, such as the oval lawn, the garden clump and the Azalea Dell. During the 20th century the outlying land was progressively sold. Woolmer Lodge, re-named Ludshott Manor, has recently been developed into 23 individual residences. Fourteen of them are new builds in the 10 acre garden.

Detailed Description

In 2002 Ludshott Manor was bought by Macleod Developments. The house was converted into nine apartments and houses with another 14 new ones in the grounds, all enjoying the 10 acres of private grounds. Some of the new build is in the old walled garden, where as much as possible of the old wall has been retained. The oldest building extant on the site, Stable Cottage, has not been included in the development. A 10 year management plan of the grounds is being implemented.
Features
  • Clump
  • Description: A garden clump was recorded on an 1870 map. The remnants are still visible today.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Description: An oval lawn was recorded on an 1870 map.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Feature
  • Description: An Azalia Dell was located in the principal garden.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Description: In 1825 Sir James Macdonald bought the manor from Sir Thomas Miller and built a house suitable for his status as a politician, on the site of the old Ludshott Place. He named it Woolmer Lodge.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Bramshott and
History

Detailed History

The manor of Ludshott was in existence in the 11th century. An ancient manor house is believed to have stood on the site of the present house and was known as Ludshott Place. The manor of Ludshott was acquired in 1638 by Andrew Wall who chose to live in Fir Grove, a house in the valley of the River Wey, and Ludshott Place was demoted to the status of a farmhouse. In 1816 the manor came into the possession of Sir Thomas Miller. He let both Fir Grove and Ludshott Place to tenants, who farmed the lands that went with them.

In 1825 Sir James Macdonald bought the manor from Sir Thomas Miller and built a house suitable for his status as a politician, on the site of the old Ludshott Place. He named it Woolmer Lodge. The designer was P F Robinson who also built the two lodges in the Picturesque style.

When Sir James died in 1832, Woolmer Lodge was inherited by his son, Sir Archibald Keppel, a minor. By 1846 the pleasure grounds had been laid out, enclosed within a boundary and surrounded by parkland. Features and paths seen on maps of 1870 are still recognisable today, such as the oval lawn, the garden clump and the Azalea Dell.

Between 1870 and 1910 a Secret Garden was created within the wooded area. A path led to it from the lawn with an entrance through a small gate. There was also a Fernery in the woodland area. Towards the end of his life Sir Archibald Keppel Macdonald left the running of the estate to his son Sir Archibald John Macdonald. Neither of them was very successful and in 1906 Sir Archibald John had to sell parts of the estate to pay off his debts.

Woolmer Lodge and the remaining parts of the estate were bought by William Litton in 1910. He lived there with his family until 1951. During this time some alterations and additions were made to the house, but the overall layout of the grounds was hardly changed. A year later the house, park and farm were bought by Kenneth Poland. He added the farm and park to his own estate at nearby Downlands, and two years later sold off the house, Woolmer Lodge, with 10 acres of land to Carmelite nuns.

From that time the house and grounds have been separated from the former estate and been put to various uses. The nuns built single storey extensions to increase the accommodation, planted a line of conifers on the boundary to guard their privacy, and cultivated a large garden to supply their needs.

In 1968 the nuns moved to Norfolk. The house and grounds were sold again and made into an old peoples' home by Mrs Vivien Bushell. She also changed the name to Ludshott Manor. In 1974 the use changed to a hospital of alternative medicine. This only lasted until 1980, and two years later it was bought by David Wyn and opened as a retirement home. None of these enterprises proved financially successful.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here
References

Contributors

  • Hampshire Gardens Trust

  • Barbara & Stan Hutton

    1