Hailie (also known as Fairfax House, Bramshott Rectory)4887

Liphook, England, Hampshire, East Hampshire

Brief Description

The formal gardens and house are an excellent example of a period landscape by the designer H. Inigo Triggs of Petersfield. Executed in 1912, the gardens include vistas, ponds, a canal and a gazebo and form the setting for the house.

History

The house was originally designed as a private residence before becoming a Rectory, owned by the Church Commissioners, and more recently returning to private ownership. Although the garden has been through periods of neglect, it is now well cared for by the present owners. The orchard is no longer included and there is a new lych gate.

Detailed Description

When Mr and Mrs Willetts bought the house in 2000 they carried out extensive work in the garden, including planting a line of pleached limes bordering the drive. The property is currently well-maintained by the present owners.

The orchard was sold and a house built on it and there is a new lych gate. This replaced the original Triggs-designed gate which was brought down in the storms of 1987. It is believed that the front boundary changed at some time between the Ordnance Survey 4th edition map (1937), which shows a continuous front boundary line with Osborne House, and the Ordnance Survey 2000 map showing the Rectory as now having an indented boundary. Today the large oak tree stands outside the boundary.

Features

Style

  • Formal
  • Pond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Rose Garden
  • Description: Sunken rose garden.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Bowling Green
  • Description: Bowling green or croquet lawn.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Herbaceous Border
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gazebo
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Topiary
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pleached Trees
  • Description: There is a line of pleached limes bordering the drive.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate
  • Description: There is a new lych gate. This replaced the original Triggs-designed gate which was brought down in the storms of 1987.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Specimen Tree
  • Description: Today the large oak tree stands outside the boundary.
Drive, Canal
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Bramshott and
History

Detailed History

H Inigo Triggs of Unsworth and Triggs, a specialist in country house design, was invited in 1912 to build a new house in Liphook. This was only a few hundred yards from his own home, Little Boarhunt, on land acquired from William Lillywhite, next to Osborne in the Portsmouth Road. Known in 1913 as Hailie, it became Bramshott Rectory in 1917. The property was put on the market in 1999 by the Church Commissioners, returning to private ownership in 2000 and renamed Fairfax House. Sold again in 2003, it has now reverted to its original name.

Hailie is well-documented, supported by the original garden plans and photographs. The house is listed (Grade II), and the garden was registered by the County Council as a Countryside Heritage site in 1988, later being placed on the Hampshire Register of Historic Parks and Gardens. The formal garden and house are an excellent example of a period landscape. Executed in 1912, the gardens still include ponds, a rill and sunken rose garden with oblong pool, well, round pond, yew, topiary, bowling green or croquet lawn, herbaceous borders and a gazebo, all of which form the setting for the house.

In 1912/13 two full-time gardeners were employed, but from 1982-86 the garden suffered a period of neglect.

Period

  • Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
Associated People

Just one person associated to Hailie

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here