Thorney Abbey House 6527

Thorney, England

Brief Description

Features of Thorney Abbey House include a walled kitchen garden, a diagonal canal, a stone terrace and lawns.

History

Thorney Abbey House was created in the mid-17th century as a private residence.

Detailed Description

To the west of the house is a raised stone balustraded terrace with central steps leading to lawns and specimen trees. The entrance is from the street to the south-east of the stable block, through a gateway with stone piers and globes similar to those at Thorpe Hall. The west garden wall has a timber gate between a further pair of stone piers with globes in the brick wall which leads to a five sided walled kitchen garden with diagonal canal.

A stone gateway with pediment leads from the kitchen garden to the park, known as Abbey Field, which surrounds the house on three sides. Immediately within the park on the north side next to the Peterborough Road is Thorney River. Boat houses in the park were connected by canals to the river.

Features
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Terrace
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Canal
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Thorney
History

Detailed History

This stone house with a central chimney was built in 1660 by the same builders as at Thorpe Hall, but to a smaller scale, for John Earl of Bedford. His father Francis, the 4th Earl of Bedford, took the lead in organising the work and finding the money to solve the problem of making below sea level lands dry and fertile, upon the advice of Cornelius Vermuyden.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust