Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Thorn

Introduction

The site has a 19th-century riverside terraced garden, which was further developed in the 1920s. The gardens have been restored since 1981.

The drive leads to a formal circle in front of the house. Long terraces run parallel with the river from the conservatory at the back of the house. The slopes below and above these are planted informally but choice and tender species are found throughout.
Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts

Access contact details

The house and garden are open for corporate events and are open to the public by appointment.

Owners

The Gibsons

History

Thorn has an early-19th century house on an older site. A later extension along the main terrace wall was subsequently demolished.

In 1920 William Arkwright brought urns from Sutton Scarsdale Hall to enhance his terraced garden. The design reflected his previous house, including the rose garden and the gateway at the far end of the main terrace.

After his death in 1925, Mrs Sebag-Montefiore continued to plant rare specimens, some of which are now champions. The Gibsons have splendidly restored and enhanced the garden since 1981, despite massive storm damage in 1990.

Features & Designations

Designations

  • The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building

  • Grade: II
  • Local Listing or Building of Local Importance

  • Reference: Coastal Preservation Area

Features

  • Garden Terrace
  • Description: Long terraces run parallel with the river.
  • Conservatory
  • Rose Garden
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Key Information

Type

Terraced Garden

Purpose

Ornamental Garden

Principal Building

House

Survival

Extant

Open to the public

Yes

Civil Parish

Wembury

References

References

Contributors

  • Devon Gardens Trust