In 1925 the garden square was given to Lambeth Borough Council, described as an almost square area planted with flowering shrubs. It passed to the LCC in 1958 when it was extended and re-opened as Melbourne Fields. In 1971 it became the responsibility of LB Lambeth and is now named Mostyn Gardens, one of three parks adjacent to Myatt's Fields North housing estate.
The site was part of the Archbishops of Canterbury's Lambeth Wick Estate, leased to the Fox family from 1701 into early C20th. Sir Stephen Fox's son was made Baron Holland, and it was the third Baron who began to develop the estate from the 1820s. Melbourne Square, built in the 1830s, was named after Lord Melbourne, then Home Secretary, a regular visitor to Lady Holland's political salons from 1799.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Brixton (Victoria); Oval (Northern) then bus. Rail: Brixton, Loughborough Junction. Bus: P5
London Parks and Gardens Trust