Strangeways Park 6158

Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Strangeways Park had a hall in grounds with a park bounded by a brick works to the north and development off Great Ducie Street to the west. Bridge Street lay to the south and York Street to the east. There was an open area to the north-east of the site. The site is now a car park.

History

There was only partial survival of the site in 1848. The estate of Strangeways, in the possession of the family of that name, was mentioned in the manorial survey of Manchester, 1322. The site passed to the Hartley family in the 17th century and was in the ownership of the Earl of Ducie in 1850. The hall was demolished in 1860 and replaced by the assize court.

References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit