Cheetham Park 5092

Cheetham, Manchester, Greater Manchester, England

Brief Description

This small rectangular park lies to the south of Elizabeth Street and is also bounded by Cheetwood Road, Allison Street and Sherbourne Street. It had a rockery, tennis courts and a bowling green.

History

The land was purchased by Manchester Corporation from Lord Derby in 1884 and then developed as a public park.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site for general public use.

Detailed Description

This small park is rectangular in shape and in 1994 was bounded by four streets. On the 1895 Ordnance Survey map it is shown surrounded on three sides by a number of brick works. Developments by Manchester Corporation after 1884 included a rockery, tennis courts and bowling greens.

It is not now listed as one of Manchester City Council's parks and gardens.

Features
  • Rockery
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use.
Authorities

Electoral Ward

  • Cheetham
History

Detailed History

Manchester Corporation purchased the site from Lord Derby in 1884 at a cost of £9,000. Previously the area had been a brick works. The Corporation spent a further £9,175 on the development of the park.

The park was extant in 1994 but is not currently listed as one of Manchester City Council's parks.

References

References