Piccadilly Gardens 6148

Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

The site is bounded by Piccadilly, Portland Street, Mosley Street and Parker Street. There is an L-shaped building to the north-east of the site, with associated buildings to the west and a narrow oval pond. By the late-19th-century, the pond had been filled and the building had been developed and enlarged.

History

This was the site of the Manchester Infirmary from 1755 to 1908 and the position of the building, now demolished, can still be traced in the area of the sunken garden in the present Piccadilly Gardens. The site has always played an important part in the provision of open space in Manchester and was reported to the 1833 Parliamentary Select Committee, set up to 'Investigate the Availability of Open Spaces for Public Used in Major Towns' as one of only three sites fulfilling that function at that time.

References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit