Vauxhall Gardens 6161

Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Vauxhall Gardens was a public pleasure gardens attached to the Grape and Compass Coffee and Tea House. The site was described in Scholes's Manchester and Salford Directory (1797) as belonging to Robert Tinker. The name was changed to Vauxhall Gardens in 1814. Tinker died in 1836 and the property passed to a Mr Buckley who made a fortune out of the sand on the site. The site is now lost. It was shown as waste ground, probably a quarry site, by 1895.

History

Period

  • 18th Century
References

References

Contributors

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust