Originally entirely surrounded by roads, the north side was paved in the late 1980s. In the early 1990s the end of Ashchurch Grove was closed and paved. A raised bed planted with periwinkle was built and much of the planting is recent although there is one mature London plane tree.
Starch Green is so-called as the site was once used for a laundry green. It was a flooded brick pit that was filled by an unnamed stream that flowed from Wormwood Scrubs down the Askew Road. The land was conveyed to the Hammersmith Vestry free of charge in 1894. The pond refilled gradually post-1926 and was planted up with shrubs.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Shepherds Bush (Central, Hammersmith & City). Bus: 266
London Parks and Gardens Trust