A north-south footpath divides the recreation ground, with a landscaped area with trees, shrubs and flower beds to the east, a central playground and a hard-surfaced area to the west with two fine mature willows. The perimeter has fine trees.
The Latchmere Estate was built from 1903 on former commonland, which had been gradually encroached until all that remained was an area of allotments. Building over this was resisted until the early C20th when, following efforts by John Burns, MP for Battersea, an Act of Parliament was passed that allowed housing only on condition that part was laid out as a recreation ground. The estate, an early municipal housing project, was built on Garden City principles. The recreation ground became the focal point and opened in 1906.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open from 8am - dusk.
DirectionsRail: Battersea Park. Rail/London Overground: Clapham Junction. Bus: 44, 49, 319, 344, 345
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust