The churchyard retains its rural character and fields separate it from the main road. Well-planted with ancient yews, lime trees and specimen conifers, particularly at the boundaries, it is maintained with rough grass and wild flowers. There is a good collection of tombs from the 18th century as well as old wooden graveboards and a 16th-century lych gate.
There has probably been a church at Hayes since the 9th century and St Mary's was at the centre of the old village, near the Manor House. There are remnants of the medieval building although the church was restored in 1873.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Uxbridge (Piccadilly, Metropolitan) then bus. Rail: Hayes & Harlington then bus. Bus: 195, H98, 207, 607, 90.
Diocese of London
London Parks and Gardens Trust