St Brides Castle 3073

Pembrokeshire, Wales

Brief Description

The walled garden associated with The Abbey originated in the 16th century, but includes several subsequent phases. The formal gardens and parkland associated with The Castle were started in 1833, but the nearby walled garden may incorporate part of The Hill. The building was in hospital use from 1923-1978, and is now holiday apartments.

History

A house called 'The Abbey' existed by the 17th century, and the ruins still remain. 'The Hill' was built in the mid-18th century on a new site to the west, and was incorporated into 'The Castle' in about 1833.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The external structure is rendered. There is a square block of two storeys and a raised block of three storeys in the centre.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Building
  • Description: Ruins of the Abbey.
  • Stable Block
  • Description: Stone-built, two storey building, probably contemporary with the Castle.
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: Walled kitchen garden.
Garden Terrace
History

Period

  • Tudor (1485-1603)
Contact

Telephone

01443 336000

Official Website

Owners

    References

    References