Castle Hall 713

Milford Haven, Wales

Brief Description

The early-19th-century gardens include two substantial terraces associated with the house. There are fine entrances at the approach and elsewhere, a grotto and a lake.

History

An estate map of 1769 shows an established formal garden to the west of the house.

Features
  • Residential Building (featured building)
  • Description: The present house was built by the Ministry of Defence as Officers' Quarters. It is two storeys, and built of brick.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Stable Block
  • Description: The stable block has been much altered, but probably dates originally from the 19th century.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Arch
  • Description: Series of four arches.
  • Icehouse
  • Description: Two arches were converted for use as an icehouse.
  • Glasshouse
  • Description: Series of glasshouses.
  • Garden Terrace
  • Description: Series of terraces.
Grotto, Lake
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Milford Haven
History

Detailed History

The formal gardens existed by 1769, falling west towards a pool and the shore. The site belonged to John Holwell, a surgeon with the East India Company. There is a former raised drive, now supporting a later terrace, which was constructed in about 1780.

The early-19th-century gardens include two substantial terraces associated with the house. There are fine entrances at the approach and elsewhere, a grotto and a lake. There is also further terracing with a range of glass and an enigmatic garden structure formerly referred to as a 'pinery'. The house was rebuilt between 1855 and 1857 to the designs of W.H. Lindsay, and was demolished in 1939.

Associated People

Just one person associated to Castle Hall

Contact

Telephone

01443 336000

Official Website

Click Here
References

References