The walled garden at Southwood House is of irregular form and is now an open, grassy space. The surrounding wall is a mixture of stone and brickwork, and contains eleven bee boles. The house itself is available for rent as a holiday cottage from The National Trust.
The earliest house and garden date to the mid-16th century, when it was inherited by Gilbert Thacker, and was formerly part of the lands attached to Repton Priory. The walled garden was probaly divided into flower and vegetable beds and there is an artificial water-course running through it. Various changes were made throughout the 18th and 19th centuries.
- Bee Bole
- Description: There are eleven bee boles set into the inner side of the north wall.
- 18th Century
Telephone0844 800 1895
The National Trust