Located in a deep ravine, the present cottage at Knowle Hill was built in the 1760s after the original 1690s house was pulled down. It is now owned by The Landmark Trust.
Walter Burdett originally built the house at Knowle Hill in 1698 as a romantic retreat. Following the later demolition of this building in the 1760s, a cottage was built which was abandoned in the 1900s. The Landmark Trust have since restored the site.