Calke Abbey, Kitchen Garden 3801

Ticknall, England, Derbyshire, South Derbyshire

Brief Description

The area now managed as a kitchen garden was originally an 18th-century physic garden, used for the cultivation of medicinal herbs and plants. The garden currently supplies herbs to the restaurant, and also features fruit trees such as medlar and quince, and many old varieties of vegetables.

History

The garden was relocated away from the house during the late 18th century.

Features
  • Orangery
  • Description: The Orangery originally had two peach houses attached at each end.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Temperate House
  • Description: The Peach House is one of two which were attached to the Orangery. One was removed in the 20th century and the other was seriously dilapidated. In 1999 it was restored by the National Trust.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Bothy
  • Description: The Gardeners bothy is located within the kitchen garden and contains a collection of garden tools and a seed cabinet.
Access & Directions

Directions

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/calke-abbey/how-to-get-here/
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Calke
History

Period

  • Late 18th Century
Contact

Telephone

0844 800 1895

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners