South Molton Cemetery 4377

North Devon, England, Devon, North Devon

Brief Description

The cemetery was laid out and chapels built in 1857. It was enlarged in 1877 and the Lodge was built in 1882 in the north-west corner, with an attractive open loggia across the front.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal space for general public use.

Detailed Description

The long rectangular site has a central tarmac path and parallel paths beside each stone boundary wall, with pairs of yew trees spaced out on either side of the paths. There are also three cross-paths, fairly evenly spaced.

Because the site is at an angle to the road, the first section of the cemetery is triangular. An oval space opens up from the central entrance, cutting across the first cross-path and with a central bed, now occupied by the War Memorial. It joins the central path through a tall yew arch, which stands between the two identical neo-gothic chapels. These are symmetrically placed between the first cross-path and the yew arch. The cemetery is still in use and well maintained.

Features
  • Gate Lodge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Arch
  • Description: Yew arch.
War Memorial
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal space for general public use.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • South Molton
History

Detailed History

The cemetery was laid out and chapels built in 1857. It was enlarged in 1877 and the Lodge was built in 1882 in the north-west corner, with an attractive open loggia across the front.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)