Cock Rock 4333

North Devon, North Devon, Devon, England

Brief Description

A series of linked walled gardens surround the house. Each has a distinct design and function, and appear to be largely unchanged. There is the Pergola Garden between the first and second house sites. The Sunken Wind's Garden (south) and Secret Garden with thatched summer-house (north) lie between the new house and Gardener's Cottage and separated by the Glass Walk. There is also the Orchard and hedged Vegetable garden. The Rose Garden is behind the zig-zag wall on the south edge of the parking area.

History

The first house and garden date from 1925. The house was burned down in 1943, and a new house was built 10 years later.

Detailed Description

A series of linked walled gardens surround the house. Each has a distinct design and function, and appear to be largely unchanged. There is the Pergola Garden between the first and second house sites. The sunken Wind's Garden (south) and Secret Garden with thatched summer-house (north) lie between the new house and Gardener's Cottage and separated by the Glass Walk. There is also the Orchard and hedged Vegetable garden. The ‘Rose garden' is behind the zigzag wall on the south edge of the parking area.

The drive is lined with shrubs and runs beside the eastern boundary, but with a small walled ‘stock' garden in the south-east corner of the site. The house is now a holiday home but still owned by keen gardeners. The new owners have added a new Courtyard garden adjacent to glass doors on the sheltered south side of house, by the new kitchen. The essential character of the garden has been retained.

Features

Plant Environment

  • Walled Garden
  • Environment
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Pilton West
History

Detailed History

A first house and garden on this site were designed by Oliver Hill and built around 1925. The house burnt down in 1943, leaving a few remnants around a tall stone chimney and a separate thatched pump house. These still stand between the parking area and the sand dunes, where a Sun Bathing Garden is buried.

A new house was built in 1953, also designed by Oliver Hill and slightly south-west of the first one. Pevsner wrote: ‘Intended to be in the spirit of a Devon farmhouse, hence the thatched roofs and prominent stone chimneys.... The effect is more of a cottage orne.... Low mullioned windows in the Voysey tradition.'

Period

  • Early 20th Century
References

References