Somerford Park 3004

Congleton, England

Brief Description

Features of Somerford Park include a formal garden, a woodland garden and a chapel.

History

Somerford Park was established in the early-19th century.

Detailed Description

Only parts of Somerford Park's features remain. The formal and woodland gardens remain, along with the family chapel in the surviving parkland. The kitchen garden and icehouse have also survived but are in a ruinous state.
Features
  • Icehouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Chapel
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Brereton
History

Detailed History

Somerford Park was created between 1800 and 1819 as a private residence.

George Ormerod notes in his 'History of Cheshire' (1819) that the owner was C.W.J. Shakerley. Ormerod describes the estate:

'Somerford Hall, a spacious brick built mansion stands in a park well timbered, and bounded on the north by the stream of the Dane. On the south side was formerly a large artificial lake, which burst its dam a few years ago, and the site has been recently planted over.

A large portion of Somerford Hall was built by the present proprietor from 1800, from designs by Mr. Robinson of Middleton in Lancashire. The grounds were laid out by Mr. Davenport and Mr. Webb.'

Recently, the house has been demolished.

Associated People
References

References

Contributors

  • E. Bennis and J. Dyke