Salperton Park 6287

Salperton, England, Gloucestershire, Cotswold

Brief Description

Late 18th-century parkland survives at Salperton Park along with gardens and pleasure grounds dating back to the 19th and early 20th centuries.

History

A landscape park was laid out around the new mansion from about 1769, featuring plantings of ornamental trees in walled squares. The parkland was later made more informal although evidence of the earlier formal layout remained until at least 1883. Further changes were made to the gardens and pleasure grounds in the early 20th century.

Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Hazleton
History

Detailed History

The manor was granted to Winchester College at the Dissolution of the monasteries, and remained in their possession until the mid-19th century. Part of the early house is dated 1616, but this has been completely remodelled. The Browne family acquired leases on the land and by the late 18th century John Browne was reported as having 'a very good stone built house near the church in which he resides'. This is shown in a painting of that time set in an obviously new landscape setting. In 1817 new wings were added by Richard Pace.

The house stayed in the family until 1900 when it was bought by G L Foster-Harter who employed F W Waller to modernise and extend it. The gardens would also appear to have undergone some changes at this time, although the parkland to the west appears to have remained intact. Parkland to the east appears to have been cleared, but this would have been of less importance to the setting of the house, being divided from it by the kitchen gardens and orchards and located at some distance to the rear. Changes elsewhere principally reflect alterations to the pleasure grounds and woodland walk to the north, the removal of what may be a fountain, and the conversion of some orchard to what appears to be kitchen gardens.

Until the arrival of mains power in the 1950s, electricity for the village of Salperton was generated at Salperton Park.

Period

  • Late 18th Century
  • 18th Century
References

References

Contributors

  • Gloucestershire Gardens & Landscape Trust

    1