An early 20th century formal garden situated within an earlier park.
The site originates in the medieval period. The present house and gardens date from the 17th century, with later additions and alterations. The present formal garden layout was designed in the early 20th century.
Visitor Facilities01 582 763133 http://www.rothamsted.ac.uk
- Access & Directions
Access Contact Details01 582 763133 http://www.rothamsted.ac.uk
DirectionsTake the B487 from Harpenden.
The layout of an existing garden was reshaped between 1647-1653 by Sir John Wittewronge (1618-93). He created a garden outside a loggia on the west front, and an orchard, later kitchen garden, to the north. A fir grove planted about 1665 was formalised as a wilderness in 1721. Sir John Bennet Lawes, who started agricultural experiments on the estate in 1843, altered the western gardens to a parterre, cut a vista through the wilderness and undertook extensive planting in the park beyond. In the 1900s the vista was formalised, with hedges, and terminated at a circle around a large sculptural group.