The grounds were well planted, with notable cedars, holly, yew, laurel and bay. The most impressive monuments are near the chapel, and incude a marble triptych to Margaret Gow (d.1929) and family grave of the Kelly family. Today the cemetery has memorial and lawn-grave sections, dedicated children's area and a memorial garden.
This large cemetery was proposed in 1884 for the Ecclesiastical Parish of St Margaret's, Barking. The original 12-acre site was purchased by the Barking Parish Burial Board and the Vestry provided £6,000 for laying out the grounds and building a chapel. The cemetery was opened in 1886, with the first burial taking place in October of that year.
Visitor Facilities1 Oct-31 Mar: M-F 10-4.30; S/S/BH 10-4; 1 Apr-30 Sept: M-F 10-7; S/S/BH 10-6
Rippleside Cemetery is a large cemetery set up by Barking Parish Burial Board. It was opened in 1886, the first burial taking place in October of that year. The original C19th Lodge, gates and some original railings remain, together with the chapel, where the most impressive monuments are found. The grounds were well planted, and contain notable cedars, holly, yew, laurel and bay. The burial ground was extended to the east in c.1950. Today the cemetery has memorial and lawn-grave sections, a dedicated children's area and a memorial garden.Sources consulted:
'A Century of Progress in Local Government in Barking'; Barking Urban District Council Minutes; James Howson 'A Brief History of Barking & Dagenham' (LBBD Libraries Dept, 6th ed 1990); Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons,'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008)
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=BAD019
- Access & Directions
Access Contact Details1 Oct-31 Mar: M-F 10-4.30; S/S/BH 10-4; 1 Apr-30 Sept: M-F 10-7; S/S/BH 10-6
DirectionsTube: Upney (District; Hammersmith & City). Bus: 62, 287, 368.
London Parks and Gardens Trust