Eastbury is an Elizabethan Manor House built as a country residence for a wealthy merchant. The garden to the east is enclosed by C18th and C19th brick walls. Many of the original features have been restored, including the walled garden, in which 'bee-boles' can be seen in the walls.
The Manor dates back to at least the C14th when it belonged to Barking Abbey. From the early C18th onwards the estate was divided and the house gradually became dilapidated, occupied by a succession of tenant farmers. In 1913/14 the estate was broken up for building development. The house and immediate grounds, now the focus of a residential square built in the 1920s, was purchased by the National Trust in 1918 and later leased to Barking Borough Council. In the C18th the gardens comprised a west walled garden and two small plots to north and west of the house, both probably once enclosed, and an orchard to the south.
Visitor Facilities10am-4pm Mon, Tues and 1st & 2nd Sat of ea month. Closed BH Mon, 28 & 29 Dec
- Access & Directions
Access Contact Details10am-4pm Mon, Tues and 1st & 2nd Sat of ea month. Closed BH Mon, 28 & 29 Dec
DirectionsTube: Upney (District; Hammersmith & City). London Overground/Rail/Tube (Hammersmith & City, District): Barking then bus. Bus 287, 368.
London Parks and Gardens Trust