Near the chapel is a Garden of Remembrance with extensive rose beds around a central open sided octagonal pavilion in which a small fountain plays; this garden has had new paths created to allow wheelchair users. In the woodland is a secluded area of graves, entered through a rustic pergola.
The land for the cemetery was owned from 1872 by a land company from whom the Cemetery Company then acquired it. The first burial was that of William Nesbitt on 25 March 1875.
Visitor FacilitiesMon-Fri 9am - 7pm (April-September)/ - 5pm (October-March). Sat/Sun/BH: 10am - 5pm (Apr-Sept)/4pm (Oct-Mar)
Detailed DescriptionManor Park Cemetery was opened in 1874 by the Manor Park Cemetery Company on the eastern part of what had been Hamfrith Farm, previously owned by John Gurney. The cemetery today has two areas of woodland, the largest in its north-east corner, and many woodland birds are found here. There are rows of mature lime trees along the boundaries and an avenue of horse chestnuts follows the old path through the middle, with other trees scattered throughout, including cedar and other evergreens, conifers. The original chapel, built in 1877, was largely destroyed by bombing in 1944 apart from its spire, which still remains and was rebuilt in brick with a crematorium added to its east end in 1955. The cemetery has a war memorial, crematorium remembrance area, together with an extensive Garden of Remembrance.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008); John Archer/Ian Yarham, Nature Conservation in Newham, London Ecology Unit, 1991.
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=NEW020
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsMon-Fri 9am - 7pm (April-September)/ - 5pm (October-March). Sat/Sun/BH: 10am - 5pm (Apr-Sept)/4pm (Oct-Mar)
DirectionsRail: Manor Park
London Parks and Gardens Trust