The Pines, Southrop (also known as Grey's Court)6308

Lechlade, England, Gloucestershire, Cotswold

Brief Description

The garden at The Pines has a restored classical arch, which is all that remains of a mid-17th-century walled garden.

History

From 1570, the house belonged to the Keble family, and then to the D'Oyley family in the 18th century. One wing of the house incorporating work of the early-17th century and the 18th century has survived, but most of the building was pulled down before 1842.

Features
  • Garden Wall
  • Description: Part of the former walled garden to Grey's Court with an archway in it.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Dovecote
  • Description: A four-gabled square dovecote with quoins and a gabled timber lantern.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: Most of the early house has been demolished, but one wing of the early-17th and 18th century remains.
  • Earliest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Southrop
History

Detailed History

A house recorded as belonging to freehold estate in the village is first recorded in the Middle Ages. At this time it was called Grayes Court. The present house is all that remains now, as most of the building was pulled down before 1842, although one wing, incorporating work of the early 17th century and the 18th century survived. From 1570, the house belonged to the Keble family, and then to the D'Oyley family in the 18th century.
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here
References

References

Contributors

  • Gloucestershire Gardens & Landscape Trust

  • Mary Blumer

    1